Subject: Oaxaca (and their cookies)
Appeared In: Secret of the Scarlet Hand
Taylor Sinclair’s infamous cookies became an unexpected help during this game. If you’re like me, you wondered just what Oaxaca was. Well…
- It is one of the 31 states (discounting the Federal District) of Mexico.
- Because of its geography full of mountains, canyons, ravines and a little thing called the Pacific Ocean lapping at its southern border, Oaxaca wasn’t as affected as other areas by European influence. This allowed most of their indigenous culture to survive.
- It’s one of the top three most biologically diverse states in Mexico.
- The name comes from the Nahuatal word “Huaxyacac”, referring to the lush trees surrounding its capital city.
- It’s produced two Mexican presidents and several famous painters.
- It is called Land of the Seven Moles, because each region produces their own brand of mole sauce. Actually, all of the cuisine in Oaxaca is incredibly varied. A favorite is chapulines, or barbequed grasshoppers.
- They’re well known for an alcoholic drink called mezcal, which is a drink similar to tequila, only made from cacti. (You know you want to try cactus tequila. It also tastes way better if you add a worm.)
Speaking of Oaxacan delicacies, are those cookies really as suspect as the rest of the characters claim? No, not at all! Taylor just doesn’t bother with expiration dates. Oaxacan cookies are actually very tasty, known for their dark chocolate and smoky flavor of some cactus tequila. It’ll take some patience and love, but do it right and you have one delicious snack. You can find the recipe here.
When I first played this game, I instinctually passed off Oaxaca as a place in Africa. :3 It was only a few years ago or so that I found out it was in Mexico. I like this post though, the cookies were hilarious. c: